Experiments – Final Submission 3

I wanted to test out painting on some smaller, long, thin, canvases I had found. I also wanted to test out an idea I had after reading about pointillism in Bright Earth: the artists understood that the mixing of the paints then available often lead to a dulling and muddying of the colour – so they created pointillism in an effort to use the pure pigments and allow the eye to do the mixing so to keep the colour as vibrant and luminous as possible without muddying the colour.

My idea was to use dots of all the colours of blue I used in the larger painting to try to make up a composite colour from dots on a test panel. It didn’t work and I hate this. I wouldn’t do it again. I initially tried the dots on the painting too, but early on this was not going to work – neither in the colours or the marrying of the informality of the marks with the crisp lines, so I abandoned this early on and painted a solid colour over it. I also painted a thick varnish over the darkest blue, which I really like. I like the small format, but feel these would work well as a group/series rather than on their own as they seem rather insignificant for what they are.

Where next? Although I still don’t feel much like painting, I am getting more enthusiastic about it I have been preparing some mdf boards for testing – post conversation with Stewart Geddes. He paints on mdf boards that have been shaped and are quite deep. We discussed my floating canvas panels and how those could be created with mdf and a frame on the back – which would make them more standard (and acceptable) for hanging.

My Dad gave me some offcuts of mdf of varying thicknesses – which we cut into test panels (small, large, narrow, square). He has been great at working out a method for me to be able to make the frames for the backs of the panels myself and we are going to have a masterclass next month. In the meantime I am working out how to prepare the flat panels, paint on them and decide which thickness I prefer etc.

I initially sanded all of the panels to ‘break’ the surface to allow the paint to go in. However, on SOME of the panels, this meant it became very fluffy. I painted them all with emulsion anyway and thought I would see how they dried. I left them to dry on my washing airer (!). It is such a useful item for drying art!!!! It allows me to paint the edges and dry them without fluff getting on them.

Stewart suggested I needed to sand them again after painting and do a couple of coats. I wasn’t sure why this was necessary, but did it anyway and BOY! Now I understand why. On sanding the panels, all the marks from the brush strokes were obliterated and the fluffiness went too. This surface looked great. SO, so flat. Something I haven’t been able to achieve with anything on canvas because of the woven texture. Sanding removed some of the paint, so they needed another coat anyway. This time I put on a much thicker coat (rather than the 1st more watery one) and another coat on top of that with brush strokes in the other direction. When these coats have dried, I will lightly sand the surface again – and hopefully this will leave a solid white surface that is very smooth ready for painting. I like the ritual of this preparation. It is painting, but without any expressive qualities and is good for breaking me back in. Stewart said he spends loads of time preparing the panels. I can see why. The surface becomes very important. I am now keen to start experimenting with marks, layers, crisp lines etc. before going on to making complete panels along with back frames.

Stewart suggested I get some nylon brushes – which I did – and these were a revelation. They create a fantastically flat surface with solid colour, no ridges or marks. I also bought s brush that had Vs cut into the bristles to experiment with textures – which was also great to play with. I enjoyed painting on the boards. It was easier to paint straight lines than on the texture of canvas. I tried using masking tape on the boards as Stewart suggested. I could get crisp lines with the tape without having to seal the edges BUT, I obviously didn’t let the paint dry enough first as it peeled the first layer of acrylic off the primed board. This was an interesting happy accident. I tried to remove the later layers of paint to reveal previous ones – but still it went down to the primed board. Quite unpredictable and one take I liked and the other I hated. So not sure how I feel about it. But it is something to keep in my arsenal. The first experiment came out a bit ‘vanilla’. I used the colours in order from the diary – starting from the bottom layer. The composition feels rather contrived. But the use of the palette knife and masking tape removal was interesting. It was also easier to create torn edges on the board – so that is something else I can bring from monoprinting into this now I am working on board.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s